RSS

Category Archives: News

SUB-BRANCH NEWSLETTER

The sub-branch have finally got the first Newsletter together and out to the members.
If you have news that you think is worthy of putting in the newsletter and RSL related please mail to dingopc@bigpond.com for review.

Below is the link to Read online and/ or Download a copy.

Newsletter-OGBH-1

 
Comments Off on SUB-BRANCH NEWSLETTER

Posted by on October 12, 2018 in News, RSL Club Events

 

GENERAL MEETING MINUTES SEPT 17

Minutes of the Ocean Grove Barwon Heads RSL Sub-Branch General Meeting
Held at the Ocean Grove Bowling Club On 17 September 2018
1. Opening. The Chairman declared the meeting open at 1400hrs.
2. Present. 28 members
3. Apologies. 8 members
4. Previous Minutes. D. Gilroy outlined the major points from the previous minutes.
Moved: Keith Hankin Seconded: Wally Gee
5. Business Arising from the Previous Minutes. Nil.
6. Correspondence.
a. In.
1. RSL Letter re Australian War Memorial Las Post Ceremony. David advised that OGBH will
donate $250 this year.
2. RSL Email re Marsh Insurance
b. Out.
Nil
7. Reports.
a. President’s Report. K. Arnott advised Membership stood at 201.
b. Treasurer’s Report. A copy of the Treasurer’s Report for July was provided.
c. Welfare. A copy of the Welfare Report from Better Impact for the period 17 Aug – 13 Sep is
attached. Tony Wheal spoke on behalf of Lola Fisher and advised that the welfare team had
conducted 87 visits to aged care facilities, 35 home visits and 7 hospital visits. Tony also reported that
a wheelchair previously allocated to a veteran had been returned and one walker had been provided to
a veteran. It was also noted that the guest speaker for the October General Meeting would be Phil
Edwards.
d. Appeals. D. Wilkinson reported the order for Remembrance Day Appeal merchandise had been
submitted. David reported there would be a total of 21 tins & boxes provided to cater for the
schools (5), nursing homes (3) and council sites (6). David also advised the Sub-Branch had submitted
paperwork for the temporary hire of three EFTPOS terminals which would be allocated to the
APCO, Woolworths and Pharmacy sites. At this stage it was known that at least one terminal would
be fee free and bank staff were checking on the status of the others. The observation was made on the
amount of donations that were missed during Legacy week as patrons only had cards and therefore
could not make a donation or purchase merchandise.
e. Ceremonial. Approximately 50 people attended the Vietnam Veteran’s Day Service. There was no
clash with the Farmer’s Market being held concurrently.
f. Appeals Roster. P. Cail advised that selling for the Remembrance Day appeal will commence on
Saturday 3 November and continue until 10 November. The Roster Sheets for the Appeal are attached.
He further advised the Better Impact rostering pages would be open in the last week of September and
members without email would receive a hand delivered letter. Names will also be taken at the next
General Meeting.
g. Public Relations. Nil to Report.
h. Pensions. Nil to Report – Member absent.
Reports Accepted. Moved: Walter George Seconded: John Dickinson
8. New Business.
a. Memorial Wall. David Gilroy and John Dickinson gave an update on the new memorial wall and the
Honour Roll. John advised on the difficulty and time taken to undertake this research noting the restricted
access to records from World War II onwards.
b. Rosemary Plants. Brendan Lloyd advised that the City of Greater Geelong would have Rosemary
Plants in locations for Remembrance Day.
9. Next Meeting. The next Committee meeting is scheduled for Monday 15 October 2018 commencing
at 1400hrs.
10. Closure. There being no further business the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 1430hrs.
K. Arnott                                    R. Lewis
Chairman                             Minute Secretary

 
Comments Off on GENERAL MEETING MINUTES SEPT 17

Posted by on October 1, 2018 in Meeting Minutes, News

 

GENERAL MEETING MINUTES AUGUST 20

Minutes of the Ocean Grove Barwon Heads RSL Sub-Branch General Meeting
Held at the Ocean Grove Bowling Club On 20 August 2018
The Chairman declared the meeting open at 1400hrs.
Present 28 members  Apologies16 members
Previous Minutes. D. Gilroy outlined the major points from the previous minutes
Business Arising from the Previous Minutes. Nil

Correspondence.
IN
Marsh Insurance – Completed.
Card – Re-Appreciation – Ed Corless Family
Thank You ANAM CARA Donation
Invite to Opening of Men’s Shed on 31Aug18
Letter from Minister VA Re Armistrice Grant
Invite to Queenscliff Historical Museum Talk
Better Hearing Aust. –Offer of Talk
OUT.
Marsh Insurance Payment
Acceptance of Armistice Grant
Accept Legacy Week Invite
Remembrance Day Letters – Invitation to Council, State and Federal MPs

President’s Report. D.Gilroy advised that Membership stood at 201 with one new member.
Treasurer’s Report. A copy of the Treasurer’s Report for July was provided.
Welfare Report
A copy of the Welfare Report from Better Impact for the period 13 Jul—17 Aug was tabled by L. Fisher and is attached. There were a total of 184 clients with 5 hospital visits
.
Legacy Roster. The Legacy Roster is now filled but there are no Reserves. Appeal made for members to volunteer as a Reserve for the Roster period. OGBH Sub-Branch will be manning the stall from Mon 3rd to Thu

Appeals & Rosters. Rosters for Remembrance Day will start to be formulated in the first week of September

Ceremonial:Approximately 50 people attended the Vietnam Veteran’s Day Service. There was no clash with the Farmer’s Market being held concurrently.
New Business.
Younger Veterans. Richard Lewis provided a list of outcomes from the meeting held by the Younger Veterans Sub-Committee.
Outcome 1 – Sub-Committee agreement to hold a Barefoot Bowls day for Younger Veterans and their families on either 18 or 25 Nov. The Executive agreed in principle but would like a breakdown of expected costs. R. Lewis and S. Payne to meet with the OGBC to ascertain this detail. Additional budget will also be required for advertising.
Outcome 2 – Sub-Committee agreement to employ a paid Part Time Event Coordinator. The Executive agreed in principle but would like further detail on the duties and expected cost (hours and hourly rate). Note: S. Payne has volunteered to take up this paid position.
Outcome 3 – Sub-Committee agreement to use Social Media and local Newspaper to promote the Barefoot Bowls day. J. Dickinson to investigate a Facebook Page for the OGBH Sub-Branch and opportunity to promote the event via an article in the ‘The Voice’. R. Lewis to investigate option of advertising the event on RSL Connect Facebook Page and through the RSL Active Program.
Outcome 4 – Sub-Committee agreement for B. Clancy to investigate holding a Guest Speaker Night for Younger Veterans with the suggested guest speakers being Stephen Wells and Patrick Dangerfield. Executive agreed in principle but noted the event would be a better fit in 2019.
Outcome 5- Sub-Committee agreement to have a way ahead beyond the Barefoot Bowls Day. Suggested activities were: Coffee Mornings, Range Shoot, BBQ, RSL Active Water Based Program and Indoor Bowls. Executive agreed to proceed with the planning of a Coffee Morning(s).
Outcome 6- Sub-Committee agreement to consider holding a Xmas Lunch at Adventure Park or the like for Younger Veterans and their families. Executive noted the short time to Xmas and suggested that any investigation should be based around Xmas 2019.
Outcome 7- Sub-Committee agreement on a donation for the purchase of a Companion Therapy Dog through the Defence Bank Foundation. Expected cost could be as high as $7,500. Lewis and B. Clarke to ascertain total cost.  Executive agreed in principle but would like to know the full cost before endorsement. Suggestion that recipient should be located in Area 8a.

Armistice Grant. David Gilroy advised the Armistice Grant had been approved and a total of $13,637 would be provided. This was well below the amount request ($20k).  Additional funding would be sought from Council. The funds will be used for a Memorial Wall behind the Cenotaph and will contain the names of those who gave their lives and enlisted from Ocean Grove and Barwon Heads.

Remembrance Day. Gilroy noted that the State Elections are being held in November and this may impact attendance by local MPs.

Guest Speaker. Mr Ian Rouse was in attendance and provided a talk on ‘Powers of Attorney’ and ‘Wills’ on closure of the meeting

Next Meeting. The next Committee meeting is scheduled for Monday 17 September 2018 commencing at 1400hrs.
There being no further business the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 1424hrs.
D. Gilroy                                                                         R. Lewis
Chairman                                                                   Minute Secretary

 
Comments Off on GENERAL MEETING MINUTES AUGUST 20

Posted by on September 14, 2018 in Meeting Minutes, News

 

VIETNAM VETERANS SERVICE – 2018

CLICK ON  “Read the Rest of this Entry” Link to view Photo’s

Read the rest of this entry »

 
Comments Off on VIETNAM VETERANS SERVICE – 2018

Posted by on August 23, 2018 in News, Photo Gallery

 

GENERAL MEETING MINUTES – 16 JULY

Minutes of the Ocean Grove Barwon Heads RSL Sub-Branch General Meeting
Held at the Ocean Grove Bowling Club on 16 July 2018
The Chairman declared the meeting open at 1400hrs.
Present. 29 Members present (recorded in Attendance Register)
Apologies. 17 Members (recorded in Attendance Register)
Previous Minutes. David Gilroy covered the main points from the previous minutes.
Moved: Graham Fisher Seconded: Bob Scott Carried
Business Arising from the Previous Minutes. Nil
Treasurer’s Report. Nil Report. The Treasurer is travelling interstate and was an apology for this
meeting.
Correspondence.
In. Shrine Activities– next 6 months
Vietnam Vets Geelong – Invitation to President
Geelong Legacy – Sale Times
Member Emails
Out. Secretary Response to Member Emails
Reports.
President. The President advised there were no new members in the past month.
Welfare. Lola noted the Welfare team had seen 14 clients in Aged Care Facilities and conducted 36
home and 2 hospital visits during June.
Appeals and Appeals Roster. The rosters for Remembrance Day have been prepared and will be sent
out in September. The Roster period is 02-10 Nov.
Ceremonial. The Geelong Re-enactment Society has agreed to help out on Remembrance Day at a
cost of $200. More detail to follow.
Membership. The current Sub-Branch membership stands at 201.
Public Relations. John Dickinson advised a documentary had been broadcast on SBS (Insight)
covering the hardships that Veterans were experiencing when leaving the ADF. Well worth watching.
John will send a link to members.
Pensions. Bob advised that all outstanding files were out of the way pending his absence and that
Tony Woolley would still be available to contact at the Surf Coast Veterans Centre. Bob also advised
that Kristen Dillon is understudying as a Pensions Officer and was being mentored by Tony.
Report Acceptance. Acceptance of the reports was moved by M. Barry and seconded by D.
Wilkinson Carried.
New Business
Legacy Week. D. Gilroy advised Legacy were seeking assistance over the period 3 – 9 Sep. Sales
periods would be Mon-Fri from1000 to 1600 and Sat 1000-1200. Interested members to consult with
L. Fisher after the meeting.
Remembrance Day Bowls Tournament. D. Gilroy advised that the Bowling Club had agreed to a
Bowls Tournament on the afternoon of 11 Nov 18. A draft flyer had been prepared.
Honorariums. David provided some background on the payment of Honorariums and advised the
Committee had agreed to pay honorariums of $750 to the Honorary Secretary and the Honorary
Treasurer for FY 17/18 and this amount be set for FY 18/19. Agreement was sought from the general
membership. Moved: D. Gilroy Seconded: R. Lewis Carried.
Hub Meeting. J.Dickinson advised his attendance at the Regional Hub Meeting noting the focus on
younger veterans with reference to both RSL Connect and RSL Active.
RSL State Conference. D. Gilroy provided some background with regard to the attendance of the
Australian and Not for Profit Commission (ACNC) at the recent RSL State Conference. He advised
that compliance requirements were being reviewed at State level and these would filter down to the
Sub-Branches. The Minister for Veterans Affairs and the Secretary of the Department of Veteran’s
Affairs provided positive news on where the Department was heading with a focus on the Veteran.
The State Secretary, Brig Mike Annett outlined the 2020 Strategic Plan which would focus on
Regional support particularly to younger veterans.
Friends of the Rail Trail. J. Dickinson asked who was the Point of Contact for the Bellarine Rail
Trail.
Vietnam Veterans Day. A memorial service will be held at the Cenotaph at 1100 on 18 August 2018.
Ed Corless – Recognition as Community Member. Mention was made of Ed Corless’s recent
passing and his valuable contribution as the OGBH RSL Sub-Branch Community Member for over ten
years. He will be sadly missed.
Next Meeting. The next General meeting is scheduled for Monday 20 August 2018 commencing at
1400hrs.
Closure. There being no further business the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 1426hrs.
Guest Speaker Mr Robert Scott then provided a presentation on his experiences in providing Leadership and
Development Training at the Ok Tedi Mine in Papua New Guinea. The presentation was very well received.
J. Dickinson            R. Lewis
Chairman           Minute Secretary

 
Leave a comment

Posted by on August 7, 2018 in Meeting Minutes, News

 

GENERAL MEETING MINUTES – 18th JUNE

Minutes of the Ocean Grove Barwon Heads RSL Sub-Branch General Meeting
Held at the Ocean Grove Bowling Club on 18 June 2018

Opening. The Chairman declared the meeting open at 1400hrs.
Present. 32 Members present (recorded in Attendance Register)
Apologies. 13 Members (recorded in Attendance Register)
Previous Minutes. David Gilroy covered the main points from the previous minutes.
Moved: Graham Fisher Seconded: Brad Clark
 Business Arising from the Previous Minutes. Nil
 Treasurer’s Report.
A copy of the Treasurer’s Report for May is at Annex A.
Moved: David Gilroy Seconded: Keith Hankin
 Correspondence.
 In.
ANAMCara Giving Appeal
Peace Keepers Letter to Senator Burston
Saffron Aid – 75th Commemoration of Thai-Burma Railway
VVAA (Vic Branch) Memorial Service to be held at Shrine of Remembrance on 18 August
2018
RSL (Vic) State Executive Minutes – Patriotic Fund
RSL (Vic) State Executive Minutes – Management
RSL (Vic) State Executive Minutes – General DVA
RSL (Vic) New Membership Badges and Cards
 Out. Membership Badges and Cards to members
Reports.
 President. The Acting President, John Dickinson, advised that membership stood at 204.
He also welcomed the new members.
 Welfare. Lola noted the Welfare team had seen 81 clients in Aged Care Facilities and conducted 45
home and 16 hospital visits during May.
Appeals. Nil Report.
Ceremonial. Brad Clark advised the ceremony for Vietnam Veterans Day on 18 August had been
brought forward to 11 am instead of the usual start of 1542 as it was being held on a Saturday. Brad
also advised that emails had been sent to the Re-enactment Society asking for support on
Remembrance Day noting that it was getting more difficult to get support from Defence.
Public Relations. John Dickinson advised the damage to signage on the Rail Trail had been repaired.
John also met with Council Representatives to discuss future security arrangements with consideration
of a security camera being installed. John also advised that a Newsletter would be published quarterly
and invited input from the membership.
Pensions. Bob Scott iterated that the Quarterly Newsletter would also be a good forum for publishing
DVA information. Bob also advised that the Surf Coast Veterans Centre had moved to Griffiths Road,
Grovedale (behind the church).
Report Acceptance. Acceptance of the reports was moved by T. Wheal and seconded by Graham Fisher.
New Business.
RSL Remembrance Day Bowls. Keith Hankin spoke in support of an RSL Bowls afternoon to be
held in the afternoon of 11 Nov and named the “RSL Remembrance Day Open Event”. This support
would consist of prize money and assistance for catering to the value of $300. OGBC are still to
confirm acceptance of this proposal.

Younger Veterans Sub-Committee. David Gilroy advised that Richard Lewis had volunteered to
head a sub-committee with the intention of making contact with younger veterans on the Bellarine.
Brad Clark had agreed to join the sub-committee. There would be no overt encouragement for them to
join the RSL but at least make them aware of what the RSL can provide.

Honorariums. David Gilroy advised that a change at State Level meant that Honorariums at subbranch
level would need to be recommended by the Committee and approved at a General Meeting.
Sub-branch honorariums had been paid to the Secretary and Treasurer at the rate of $750pa, however,
no honorariums had been paid in the last 18 months. A motion would be put forward at the July
General Meeting.
Guest Speaker. Mr Graham Robin was in attendance and provided a talk on “The Bigger Things in
Life” on closure of the meeting.
Next Meeting. The next General meeting for Monday 16 July 2018 commencing at 1400hrs.
Closure. There being no further business the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 1422hrs.

Chairman                    Minute Secretary
J. Dickinson                        R. Lewis

 
Comments Off on GENERAL MEETING MINUTES – 18th JUNE

Posted by on June 21, 2018 in Meeting Minutes, News

 

ANZAC Day OCEAN GROVE 2018

Thank you to all who attended to make the day a truly memorable one.
Clink on Link Below to View Photo’s

Read the rest of this entry »

 
Comments Off on ANZAC Day OCEAN GROVE 2018

Posted by on May 13, 2018 in News, Photo Gallery

 

ANZAC Day BARWON HEADS 2018

Thank you to all who attended to make the day a truly memorable one.
Clink on Link Below to View Photo’s
Read the rest of this entry »

 
Comments Off on ANZAC Day BARWON HEADS 2018

Posted by on May 3, 2018 in News, Photo Gallery

 

ANZAC DAY SERVICES Wednesday 25th April 2018

ANZAC DAY SERVICES Wednesday 25th April 2018

OCEAN GROVE SERVICES
 Ocean Grove Park Cenotaph

DAWN Service:
Assembly:               6.00am
Piper Call to Arms: 6.15am

MARCH:    Assemble in Main St in Front of Coles
Step Off:         9.45am
MAIN Service:    10.00m

BARWON HEADS SERVICE
Barwon Heads Community Hall

MARCH:    Assemble at South End of Hitchcock Ave
Step Off :  8.45am
MAIN Service:  9.00am

“ALL WELCOME”

 
Comments Off on ANZAC DAY SERVICES Wednesday 25th April 2018

Posted by on April 5, 2018 in News, RSL Club Events

 

2018 Meeting Dates & Times

RSL COMMITTEE AND REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING DATES 2018.
COMMITTEE                                       GENERAL MONTHLY MEETING

      Nil                                                                                Nil
Fri 16 Feb                                                                   Mon 19 Feb   AGM
Fri 16 Mar                                                                   Mon 19 Mar
Fri 13 Apr                                                                   Mon 16 Apr
Fri 18 May                                                                  Mon 21 May
Fri 15Jun                                                                    Mon 18 Jun
Fri 13 Jul                                                                    Mon 16 Jul
Fri 17 Aug                                                                  Mon 20 Aug
Fri 14 Sep                                                                   Mon 17 Sep
Fri 12 Oct                                                                   Mon 15 Oct
Fri 16 Nov                                                                  Mon 19 Nov
Fri 14 Dec                                                                        Nil
Boardroom at 12.30 pm.                                 Function Room 1 at 2.00 pm                    

                   ANZAC Day Wednesday April 25th
 Vietnam Veterans Service (Long Tan Parade) Sat 18 August
 Remembrance Day Parade Sun November 11th
 Annual Christmas Luncheon Fri 7th December at 1230 hrs.

To download a copy – Click on link below
2018 COMMITTEE AND REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING DATES

 
Leave a comment

Posted by on March 13, 2018 in News, RSL Club Events